Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Nut butter with sprouts and vindication

Just a personal history note today. Don't worry, I'll get back to the other stuff. Just indulge me a bit. It will soon be over. :)

Some time in the early 90s I developed a taste for a particular sandwich - peanut butter and alfalfa sprouts on a garlic bagel. I'm not sure when I first tried this combination or why I thought it would be a good idea. The way the counter help stared in disbelief when I'd order this little piece o' heaven I could have been sprouting a second nose or something.

Shrug.

Guess it is odd. Probably not a combination too many people have tried. Or so I thought.

This afternoon I was researching old vegan cookbooks when I ran across this suggested make-ahead lunch on page 70 of the March 1981 Vegetarian Times:

"nut butter and sprouts"

Not  exactly what I came to call "lesser sandwich of the gods" - the garlic bagel is absolutely essential - but the world still seems a little less bleak knowing there are others who have eaten of the PB&sprouts tree.

POSTSCRIPT:

"Lesser sandwich of the gods" suggests a question - is there a "greater"? Yes, there is. Apple butter and almond butter on whole wheat.

But I should really be getting back to larger topics ...

No comments:

Post a Comment