Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A digression, dinner, departure

MOFO EPISODE V

A spherical ship cuts through the time stream, on its way from then to now and later still, generating the temporal equivalent of a sonic boom.

But anyway ...

Towards the end of a terribly long breakfast Sherman pulled Peabody aside.

"Good Doctor you really shouldn't keep secrets! I don't understand this Dr. Kellogg. What pray tell is going on?"

"Near as I can figure at an unknown time in my future which is in Kellogg's past I visit him for an unknown purpose, instructing him to not reveal to me what I know then but not yet now. Terribly confusing, but that is my lot in life I guess ..."

Kellogg approached. "If you gentlemen have finished your breakfast I shall have dinner brought out."

"Dinner?", Peabody and Sherman exclaimed together.

"Yes, I'm afraid we have missed lunch and are clean through to dinner time. So dinner it is. We'll be having roast Nuttose!"

"I apologize but we really must be going. Come along Sherman."

"But where will you go?", asked Kellogg.

"Back in the crate of course ..."

After the CHESTT door closed Sherman asked about their abrupt exit.

Peabody answered with one word: "Nuttose." He typed at a console for a while and handed Sherman the resulting printout.

Tomato Nuttose
adapted from http://www.vegan-food.net/recipe/1350/Tomato-Nuttose

6 T creamy peanut butter
1 cup tomato pulp
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 t sage
1/2 t salt
1/4 t marjoram
Onion salt or celery salt (probably garlic salt if you want)

Cream peanut butter into 2/3 cup hot water. Add tomato pulp. Put bread crumbs in bowl and mix the herbs and salt. Add to tomato and nut butter mixture. Add flavored salt to taste. form mixture into a loaf, wrap loosely in foil, and steam 2 1/2 to 3 hours. 
"Nuttose. One of many early meat analogs. The first in fact, some say. Not one of my favorite dishes. You should try it someday though, Sherman. In fact you'll get a chance to try making a batch soon! On a twentieth century cookstove! We need to pop over to jolly old England for a bit so I can verify some information with Donald Watson. Of course England is not so jolly during the time we will be visiting. World War II and all ..."

CHESTT shuddered. Unusual, that. But Peabody was unconcerned. "Ah, we've arrived! I give you ... KESWICK!"

Peabody stepped out of the front door on to a green field which rolled gently down to a river.

"Oh my," Peabody said. An understatement.

Keswick simply wasn't there.

1 comment:

  1. Intriguing! Have you tried it? If so, what did you think? Seems like it would be soft.

    ReplyDelete